I usually do this in the what I love, like, hate fashion. Let's stick with tradtion.
What I Loved:
1. Lorne. He is rapidly becoming the first thing I turn to when I want to love something about SGA. Despite the fact that he only had a few moments, he was still quite awesome. I loved when Sheppard asked about the c4 and he pulls some out and Sheppard's like that's it and Lorne like 'uh yeah, duh, I'm on Atlantis, not out in the field. And him and John opening that door... Grr... seriously wanna sex him up.
2. Radek. He's small and squirrelly. When are they gonna give him and Kavan regular spots on this show I mean seriously. They quite deserve it, especially David N. Anyway Radek. Being the hero for once is quite lovely. And having to go through those damn air ducts. Damn John for trying to say that they aren't that small.
The next thing is I like his interaction with Carter. I love it in fact. They seem to be on even footing which was something I never felt with Weir. God love Elizabeth, but Radek was like totally enamored with her sometimes. With Carter, I get that she's his boss, but he still stays sharp, stays Radek. Sometimes with Elizabeth, I didn't get that.
Oh and his Czech mutterings. So cute.
3. John. Oh John I do not believe that you could actually do that. I mean seriously, but I'd love to see fic where John's like yeah, I climbed that shit and Lorne's like please STFU.
And how is it that he can have chemistry with Rodney when Rodney's not even there. Because seriously, the password, Rodney didn't expect him to remember. This sings to me of Rodney telling him like mid-blowjob or something and John remembering. The fact that everyone seems to remember Rodney's birth year and ACK! It's the Hewlett's birth year. Yay!... although total cope out guys. Could made him a little younger. Especially when we're supposed to think Carter's younger than him ... right?
Oh dear this got away from John.
John telling Teyla it'll be fine. I can't really believe Teyla would even question though, considering the Athosians are supposed to be all active and awesome, but still. John backstory and him being a dork about the movies woman go into labor thing. Hilarity.
(I love John saying five by five... there needs to be fic where he meets Faith and says this and they have awkward het sex and she's like dude that was bad and he's like I know, I don't really... and she's like it's okay, I know you like taking it up the ass or something.)
4. Rodney. Sort of classic McKay here. He reacts to certain doom in a certain way. This is his way. He can't save himself so he either gets sick (or hallucinates naked Carter, but that's a whole different thing.)
But this is McKay. It seems the writers have realized this. McKay is not happy and he's not optimistic and he doesn't deal well when he can't save the day all by himself. Yes, he's moved forward and yes he's had growth as a human. I mean this is not the same McKay of 48 Hours, but he's certainly not ready to settle down and especially with someone like Katie Brown.
The thing is, I love Rodney, just the way he is, crabby and arrogant and bad with people, but brilliant and brave. I mean really his password says it all (OMG I didn't hear the 42 explanation and dear god John is a dork and Teyla was like you Earth people are so retarded). He is what he is, love him for that and while I see him finding love (realistically even with a girl that isn't so... positive.) He's just not ready for it.
They don't abandon the whole growth thing, which is good. He realizes that he needs to change a bit, not too much, but that he needs to grow still. So I guess, all in all, it wasn't bad at all. It was actually quite awesome.
What I Liked:
1. Carter was a dork. God, I loved that. It was like so reminiscent of her early days with Teal'c (odd, yes, but still.) I could actually like Carter here. Love even. And besides that she was all defensive for Rodney. Awesome.
2. Ronon and Keller and the Ronon/Keller. Dear god was that adorable. Thank you. Much better romance for Jewel than the Simon/Kaylee thing. I can get on board with this pairing, really I could. Separately they were awesome. Ronon with his opening up and his pop culture references and his just general awesomeness and Keller with her opening up and her awkward dorkiness. Was I the only one thinking Kaylee would never have blushed like that about the whole 'occupy time thing'. And some acknowledgment of Carson from Ronon, despite the vagueness. All great things.
3. Despite the fact that I can't see it, Teyla's vulnerability is great. And the fact that she even thought about going through that window... my dad was like bitch please, while you're pregnant. Anyway, she's a mother with fears like any other mother even if she could kill you so very easily.
I know they're trying to be shippy with the John and Teyla interactions, but I just see big brother from John. All I'll take care of you and your kid, but not because I want your vagina or anything.
What I Hated:
And this is going to sound retarded, but... please to be giving Katie Brown depth when you're shuffling her off this mortal coil. What the hell people? We all know that was like goodbye. What the hell else could it have been. I would have really liked to hate her and continue to hate her, but then she's gotta be all, I know you're never going to change and I just can't deal with your bullshit. Sweetly of course, but still. Dear god, that sucked. You know she's gonna transfer to Earth. I knew that he was going to propose, I had a feeling, but I also knew that it could never happen because then they'd have to give her like regular cast member status or something and that was never going to happen.
So, yes, not gonna happen, but really did Katie need to be all self sacrificing and knowing? It made me actually think she was better than a potted plant.
Overall, great episode. Held it's own despite how shippy they were trying to be (and het shippy at that. I almost want to go Lorne/Chuck with it just because) 8/10. Thumbs up!